Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Setting up Shop in the Marketplace of Academia #4

I thought I was going to be finished with this series, but I'm not.  If you look back at the other posts in this series you will see that I'm sharing a ministry that takes place on UCLA's campus.

I attended a seminar led by Pastor Mark Jasa and his vicar at the time.  I found a piece of paper recently with some notes scribbled on it from that meeting.  I thought I'd share some of the bits of information I gleaned from that seminar.

When witnessing, "Don't talk about Christianity - Focus on Jesus!"

Don't try to win the argument if someone says death isn't a problem.  If someone says, "I don't fear death.  I haven't done anything wrong," then an appropriate response could be, "Then you don't need Jesus.  Jesus forgives sins and rescues from death.  You don't need him."

If Jesus rose from the dead, his claims are vindicated.  Matt 12:39-40 and John 2:18-19, 20:28.

Emotions don't cause truth.

Probability, not possibility.  Lots of things are possible.

What's the procedure to verify the historical claims concerning Julius Caesar?  Take the same procedure and apply it to the resurrection.

Don't convince about God, convince about Jesus.

Define the it (Gospel) first, then show proof.

Quote movies.

If Jesus rose from the dead, what would that mean?  Reverse the question: If Jesus did not rise from the dead, what would that mean?  Christianity is falsifiable, for it's based on facts.  Jesus can be tested. 

Wow!  I think that each of these one liners can be pounded out into full blog posts!  Enjoy the final video post from University Lutheran Chapel for this blog series posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment