Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Untouchables in Indian Hinduism

Hindus believe in reincarnation, called samsara.  They also believe in karma, the cosmic moral law which directs the direction of people's rebirth.  If a person has good karma, he or she will be reincarnated into a higher caste.  Bad karma, a lower caste.

There are four castes for humans.  The first caste belongs to the Hindu priests, called Brahmins.  The caste below the Brahmins belongs to the landowners, the aristocrats, who many years ago when landowners still fought on the battlefield, they were known as the warrior caste.  Below them is the caste for skilled workers.  Below the skilled workers, the unskilled workers.  There is another group of humans, who are not even considered to be a part of the caste system.  They are in fact below the caste system.  Animals are above them!  They are the untouchables.

I know that I said that I would make a connection from samsara, karma, and moksha (the liberation from samsara and karma) with the law of God and the Gospel of Christ.  Before I do this, however, I'd like to share the following video from Youtube.  I think it is truly eye-opening as to how many people are forced to live in the caste system, which still exists today in large parts of India.

If you are a Christian, I'd suggest that you pray for the Untouchables.  Some who watch this video might be led to reach out in other ways to these people besides just prayer.  Prayer is a mighty awesome power and miracles happen through the prayers of Christian believers. By the way, after I am finished writing about Hinduism in contrast to the truth of the Gospel of Christ, I will do my best to address questions about miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment